Connecticut parents raising awareness after toddler swallows button battery
VERNON, Ct. (WSET) -- Most parents know that for toddlers, anything that's in reach goes toward the mouth.
It's no different for little 18-month-old Cameron in Connecticut.
His mom told WTIC in Hartford that he was playing with his toys in December when he started looking like he was uncomfortable and she said she could tell something was wrong. Out of precaution, she took him to an ER near her home.
She said he started refusing to eat, then foamed at the mouth, and ultimately vomited.
After an x-ray, doctors discovered a button battery in his esophagus and he was rushed to the Connecticut Children's Medical Center where the battery was removed.
Experts say button batteries are dangerous because they are small enough to swallow and not choke, but big enough to get stuck.
When it reacts with saliva, it discharges a current that creates a caustic injury to the tissue in the esophagus.
Doctors said the battery burned the toddler's throat and it was swollen from the bottom of his brain to the top of his heart.
Cameron had to be intubated for two-and-a-half months where her lost the ability to eat, talk, crawl, and walk.
It took him months to figure out how to walk and eat again and he still has to wear a trach to help with breathing.
It's not clear if it will be permanent.
His mother said she wanted to share her story to bring awareness.
"It's so hard to keep reliving the same moment but it's like super dangerous," she said. "If we had known, we would've never have had any toys that have those batteries in our house."
Button batteries are included in things like toys that play tunes, light up sneakers, and common household items like a key fob, wrist watch, and remote controls.