MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Virginia resident dies from waterborne flesh-eating bacteria

Vibrio. (CDC)

HAMPTON, Va. (WSET) - A Virginia resident has died after coming in contact with a flesh-eating bacteria called Vibrio.

WTKR reported that the victim's identity has not yet been confirmed.

According to health officials, Vibrio is a naturally occurring bacteria found in warm salt or brackish waters.

The sickness can make people ill if they eat raw or undercooked shellfish. It can also infect a person if an open cut or wound comes into contact with water.

They said nine people in Virginia have reported illnesses to the Department of Health.

If brought about through eating contaminated shellfish, symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

If the infection gets into the bloodstream, more severe symptoms can include fever and chills, decreased blood pressure and blisters.

Health officials said although it is rare for a serious infection to come from Vibrio, people should take the risk seriously.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending