"Mold, bacteria, risk of electrocution;" Companies help with flooded basements after rain


LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- With the chance for more rain over the next few days, that means more chances for water to get into your home.

Steamway Virginia says if this happens to your basement, you should put towels at the door to try and contain it to one room.

"With all this rain we've been having, we've gotten a lot of calls," said Restoration Supervisor, Ronald Rhodes with Steam Way Virginia. "Most of the time water will hit carpet, and just migrate wherever it wants to go from there."

Rhodes said you should never let water sit.

"There's mold, bacteria, risk of electrocution," explained Rhodes.

Mold can take up to 72 hours to grow and after a room reaches 50-percent humidity, mold will start to grow.

Steam Way Virginia said don't use your household vacuum to remove that excess water.

Also, don't go into any room where the ceiling may be sagging.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off