How you can prepare an emergency kit with this checklist
LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- The Virginia Department of Emergency Management wants everyone to be as prepared as they can ahead of the possibility of Hurricane Florence making landfall.
They have prepared an emergency supply checklist that includes important items that could sustain your family during a disaster.
They said that it can take several days or weeks for government services and assistance to reach individuals and families, depending on the severity of the disaster and one's geographical location.
Here are some of the items to include in an emergency kit:
Food and Supplies
- At least a 3-day supply of water and non-perishable food
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and supplies
- Medications for at least one week and copies of prescriptions
- Medical equipment
- First aid kit and antibiotic ointment
Tools and Safety Items
- Flashlight and batteries
- Multipurpose tool
Hygiene and Sanitation
- Antibacterial soap and disinfectant
- Paper towels, toilet paper and towelettes
- Bleach and rubbing alcohol
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
Also, be sure to have an emergency communication plan set in place, including all contacts of those in your household, as well as relatives and neighbors.
You can find more helpful tips here.