FBI offering $10,000 reward for info on serial bank robber, "The Chameleon Beard Bandit"
ROANOKE, Va. (WSET) -- The FBI Office in Richmond said it's offering a reward for information leading to the arrest believed to be responsible for a series of multi-state bank robberies from September 2017 - January 2018.
The FBI said he's been nicknamed "The Chameleon Beard Bandit."
Investigators believe the suspect has robbed at least six banks within the past four months, including:
- Bank of America at 2 Park Drive in Durham, North Carolina on September 29, 2017: During this robbery, the subject wore a gray long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans, a "safari"-style hat with a palm tree logo, and black gloves. He also carried a motorcycle helmet.
- 1st Trust Bank at 271 London Shopping Center in London, Kentucky on October 13, 2017: During this robbery, the subject wore a camouflage "bush"-style hat, a black long-sleeved shirt, and blue jeans. He also carried a single strap black backpack.
- Virginia Commonwealth Bank at 900 North Parham Road in Henrico, Virginia on November 14, 2017: During this robbery, the subject wore a light-colored jacket with black stripes, a camouflage "boonie"-style hat, blue jeans, and black gloves. He carried a small red-and-gray backpack.
- Bank of America at 107 Muirs Chapel Road in Greensboro, North Carolina on November 17, 2017: During this robbery, the subject wore jeans, a white-and-purple pinstriped shirt, and a tan baseball cap. He carried a motorcycle helmet and a backpack.
- Wells Fargo Bank at 1344 North Hershberger Road in Roanoke, Virginia on December 12, 2017: During this robbery, the subject wore a gray "beanie"-style hat, a black hooded sweatshirt, and a brown jacket.
- Chase Bank at 2606 Judson Road in Longview, Texas on January 5, 2018: During this robbery, the subject wore a dark hooded sweatshirt, gloves, a blue "toboggan"-style hat, jeans, and white shoes.
FBI investigators said during the course of all six robberies, the suspect showed a note to the tellers that either threatened he had a gun or he showed a gun at the teller.
"The Chameleon Beard Bandit" is described as 5-foot-11 to 6-foot-2, between 180-240 pounds, mid-to-late 30s, medium build, with brown eyes and hair, and a light complexion.
They said he wears glasses and frequently changes the color of his beard, thus the nickname "The Chameleon Beard Bandit."
FBI officials are offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for these crimes.
Anyone with information regarding this crime, or others, may contact investigators of the Richmond FBI’s Central Virginia Violent Crimes Task Force at 804/261-1044.