Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibility
Close Alert

14-year-old arrested following threat on E.C. Glass principal, lockdown

Students under lockdown at E.C. Glass High School on Wednesday, January 25, 2023. (Credit: Anonymous)
Students under lockdown at E.C. Glass High School on Wednesday, January 25, 2023. (Credit: Anonymous)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

A threat against the E.C. Glass principal prompted a lockdown early Wednesday morning which Lynchburg City Schools has lifted as of 2:30 p.m.

"There was a threat to harm the E. C. Principal that we are taking very seriously. No one is currently allowed in or out of buildings," LCS said in a statement. "All staff and students are safe in the building."

SEE ALSO: 'Crime will be punished:' community reacts to arrest in 2021 Lynchburg murder case

The Lynchburg Police Department made an arrest related to this threat.

Police arrested a 14-year-old Wednesday afternoon.

Police said throughout the investigation, multiple sources of information confirmed that the call originated from a Lynchburg residence.

According to police, the caller, who was unknown at the time, said he was armed and had intent to harm another staff member. E. C. Glass.

LPD officers responded to the residence and were able to locate the juvenile suspected of placing the phone call. He was taken into custody without incident and later taken to the Lynchburg Regional Juvenile Detention Center, police said.

Police said the 14-year-old is not a current student at E.C. Glass and was charged with violating Virginia Code section 18.2-427. Use of profane, threatening, or indecent language over the telephone.

SEE ALSO: Tensions run high at the Lynchburg City Council meeting

All on campus activities were cancelled Tuesday night at E.C. Glass.

Ethel Reeves, the Director of Equity and Community Relations with LCS said students and staff are safe.

At a news conference at 9:45 a.m., ABC13 questioned officials about more details.

Reeves said the call came into the school around 7:55 a.m. threatening to harm the principal.

SEE ALSO: Officer-involved shooting in Roanoke under investigation: VSP

There was a heavy police presence at the school all day.

"It's always disheartening when we have to go to something like this. However, I am so glad the collaboration that we have with the Lynchburg Police Department because, you know, we work collaboratively to make sure that safety is the priority at all times," Reeves said during a news conference around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

LCS said police conducted a thorough search of the school.

Lockdown procedures inside the school involve all classrooms getting locked and students sheltering in place.

LCS also gave information about transportation for students at EC Glass.

Students who have not arrived at school should remain at home as no one is allowed in or out of the building.
Students who attend the Governor’s School, STEM Academy, and the Early College Program will be released at their normal times and should not report to the E. C. Glass campus.
Transportation will transport bus riders at those locations directly home.

SEE ALSO: Loudoun County man arrested for felony related to actions during Jan. 6 Capitol breach

Just after noon on Wednesday, Virginia State Police arrived at the school.

In an update just before 1 p.m., LCS said the school was still on lockdown at that time as law enforcement continue to search the building.

"Students are being supervised and escorted to restrooms, as needed. Grab-and-go bag lunches will be provided to students," LCS said.

In an update just after 2 p.m., LCS said under advisement from LPD, the school continued to stay on a lockdown.

SEE ALSO: Danville Public Schools launches new mobile app

"School dismissal will be delayed until the investigation is completed. An update will be sent when the lockdown has been lifted."
"Parents/guardians of car riders should stay away from campus until the lockdown has been lifted."
"All on-campus after-school activities are canceled today."

LPD and LCS provided another press conference just after 2:30 p.m. to talk further about the investigation.

According to the district, the lockdown has been lifted and students are able to leave the school on time.

"We're working very closely with the city school, staff, and administration to make sure our students and staff were safe and that's what took place. It did take some time. We appreciate the patience of our staff, the students and the families that we're here to support," Lt. Joel Hinkley with LPD said.

The school has been cleared of all officers.

LCS said the school will resume Thursday with additional support for students and staff.

Loading ...