ROANOKE, Va. (WSET) — Numerous people were transported to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Roanoke Sunday morning.
Units responded to the 4400 block of Thelma Street NW in Roanoke for a call for difficulty breathing at 12:16 a.m.
When crews arrived, they found multiple patients in the garage of a home experiencing altered levels of consciousness, symptoms common with carbon monoxide poisoning.
After further investigation, personnel found a propane tank with a heating element being used without proper ventilation, resulting in levels of carbon monoxide build-up within the area where the patients were found in the home.
Eight people were transported to Roanoke Memorial Hospital, some with life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide within their bloodstreams.