Lt. Gov's accuser details alleged sexual assault, "I suffered deep humiliation"

    (Scripps college and twitter)

    WASHINGTON (WSET) -- The woman who has accused Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax of sexual assault has released her story via her attorney.

    Dr. Vanessa Tyson said she started seeing news stories about the possibility of Fairfax being elevated to governor due to the racist photo controversy currently surrounding Gov. Ralph Northam.

    "This news flooded me with painful memories, bringing back feelings of grief, shame, and anger that stemmed from an incident with Mr. Fairfax that occured in July 2004 during the Democratic National Convention in Boston," the statement started.

    Dr. Tyson said she met Fairfax on July 26, 2004 when they were working at the convention.

    She said they struck up a conversation on the first day and realized they had a mutual friend.

    Dr. Tyson said she and Fairfax crossed paths during the first two days occasionally and their interactions were just cordial. On July 28, 2004, she said Fairfax suggested she get some fresh air by running an errand with him to get documents from his room in a nearby hotel.

    She agreed to walk with him, her statement reads.

    After he located the documents in his room, she said Fairfax walked over to where she was standing in the doorway and kissed her.

    Dr. Tyson said she was surprised by his advance, but she kissed him back.

    She claims Fairfax then took her hands and "pulled her towards the bed"

    "I was fully clothed in a pantsuit and had no intention of taking my clothes off or engaging in sexual activity," her statement reads. "In the back of my mind, I also knew I needed to return to Convention headquarters."

    She said what began as consensual kissing quickly turned into a sexual assault.

    Dr. Tyson then describes the graphic details about the alleged sexual assault.

    "Mr. Fairfax put his hand behind my back and forcefully pushed my head towards his crotch. Only then did I realize that he had unbuckled his belt, unzipped his pants, and taken out his penis. He then forced his penis into my mouth. Utterly shocked and terrified, I tried to move my head away, but could not because his hand was holding down my neck and he was much stronger than me. As I cried and gagged, Mr. Fairfax forced me to perform oral sex on him. I cannot believe, given my obvious distress, that Mr. Fairfax thought this forced sexual act was consensual. To be very clear, I did not want to engage in oral sex with Mr. Fairfax and I never gave any form of consent. Quite the opposite. I consciously avoided Mr. Fairfax for the remainder of the Convention and I never spoke to him again."

    In response to Dr. Tyson's statement, Lt. Gov. Fairfax released another statement Wednesday afternoon regarding her allegations.

    Reading Dr. Tyson's account is painful. I have never done anything like what she suggests.
    As I said in my statement this morning, I have nothing to hide.
    Any review of the circumstances would support my account, because it is the truth. I take this situation very seriously and continue to believe Dr. Tyson should be treated with respect. But, I cannot agree to a description of events that simply is not true.
    I support the aims of the MeToo movement and I believe that people should always be heard and the truth should be sought. I wish Dr. Tyson the best as I do our Commonwealth.

    Lt. Gov. Fairfax released a statement earlier Wednesday morning regarding the sexual assault allegations against him.

    He began it by saying it was important for "us to listen to women when they come forward with allegations of sexual assault or harassment."

    In his statement, Fairfax wrote that it happened 15 years ago, when he was an unmarried law student. He said he had a 'consensual encounter' with the woman who made the allegation.

    "Regarding the allegation that has been made against me - while this allegation has been both surprising and hurtful, I also recognize that no one makes charges of this kind lightly, and I take it and this situation very seriously," he wrote.

    He said at not time did Dr. Tyson express discomfort or concern about their interactions while they were still in touch or for the past 15 years.

    "After the assault, I suffered both deep humiliation and shame," Dr. Tyson's statement read. "I did not speak about it for years, and I (like most survivors) suppressed those memories and emotions as a necessary means to continue my studies, and to pursue my goal of building a successful career as an academic."

    She said in October 2017, she saw a photo of Fairfax in an article about his campaign to be the Lieutenant Governor and that's when she decided to tell close friends in Virginia.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...