#12 Lynchburg Lacrosse falls to #1 Salisbury in season opener, 13-9
SALISBURY, Md. (WSET/Lynchburg Sports) -- The 12th-ranked Lynchburg men's lacrosse team opened the 2018 season with a 13-9 loss against the two-time defending national champions No. 1 Salisbury Sea Gulls on Saturday. Junior attack Andrew Thomas (Roswell, Ga.) scored three of his five shots on goal. Junior Logan Adams (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) scored one goal and collected two assists. Matt Meadows (Lynchburg, Va.) picked up six ground balls on defense.
How It Happened
• Salisbury scored the first goal of the game with 13:03 left in the first quarter. Adams tied up the game 1-1 after an unassisted drive to the goal, but it was short lived after two consecutive goals by Salisbury.
• Lynchburg fought back with two unassisted goals by Thomas in the second quarter and ended the first half behind the Sea Gulls 8-5.
• The third quarter was at a slower pace, with one goal from Salisbury and one goal by senior Hornet Ryan Kardux (Wayne, N.J.) assisted by sophomore Michael Githens (Medford, N.J.).
• The Hornets were not going down easy scoring three more goals in the final four minutes of play, trying to make a comeback, but Salisbury answered each time.
- The Hornets will play their first home game Saturday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. against Franklin & Marshall on Shellenberger Field.