MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Animal shelter warns pet owners after dog nearly dies from human hair dye

(Pinellas County Animal Services)

PINELLAS Co., Fla. (WSET) -- An animal shelter in Florida is warning pet owners of the dangers of using human hair dye on your pets.

The Pinellas County Animal Services wrote on Facebook that recently a white five-pound Maltese mix, named Violet, was brought in with burn that she got from hair dye.

***WARNING: Graphic images below may be disturbing to some viewers***

According to the shelter, Violet was dyed with purple hair dye that was intended for humans and as a result her eyes swelled up, she was limp and listless, and she had burns to her skin.

Animal services gave her fluids, pain meds, and said they gently washed as much of the chemical dye off before bandaging her up.

“Then we waited – Violet went home with our veterinarian and we waited. And she came in the next morning and we were amazed that she had made it through the night. But still we waited. She wasn’t out of the woods but she was alert and freely offering kisses,” Pinellas County Animal Services posted on Facebook.

They said they had to shave her hair, which showed the measure of the damage.

“To our horror, her skin began to slough off,” the post reads. “It was so much worse than we initially thought – how would this little dog make it through?!?!”

But amazingly she pulled through.

The shelter wrote that after pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anestetizing, bandage changes, and tireless work by employees at the shelter, Violet is recovering three months later.

They said this is a reminder to all pet owners to only use products specifically meant for pets.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending