Va. woman bitten by a copperhead at a restaurant
SPOTSYLVANIA Co., Va. (WSET) -- A Virginia woman is recovering after she was bit by a snake at a restaurant in Fredericksburg.
She said the copperhead bit her three times inside a steakhouse.
Rachel Myrick said she went to Longhorn Steakhouse on Tuesday, September 12, for dinner with family and as she walked in, she felt something on her foot.
"Initially it felt like I was stung by a bee or a hornet or something," she said. "I reached down and grabbed my foot because of the amount of pain and under my fingers felt it wiggle."
By the time she realized what bit her, she said the snake struck two more times.
And the pain was excruciating.
Myrick told WTVR that her boyfriend and 13-year-old son stomped on the snake to kill it, but she ended up spending the next almost six days in the hospital getting anti-venom, Benadryl, and anti-nausea medicines.
Her entire leg ended up bruised and swollen.
"The nausea was horrible the itching was uncontrollable," she said.
The recovery process will take three months and she said she's just trying to stay positive.
Longhorn Steakhouse said in a statement that the incident is highly unusual and that it's still looking into how it happened, and also taking steps to prevent it from happening again.