Tax Free Weekend starts Friday
LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) - Love it or hate it, it's time for back-to-school shopping. If you haven't done yours yet, experts say the weekend of August 4-6 might save some bucks with Tax Free Weekend in Virginia.
According to a study by Deloitte, parents will spend an average of $554 per child on back-to-school supplies.
With Tax Free Weekend, there will be no sales tax on school supplies and clothes between 12:00 am Friday and 11:59 Sunday.
According to the Virginia Tax website, here's what you can save on:
- School supplies — less than $20 per qualified item
- Clothing and footwear — $100 or less per item
- Portable generators — $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws — $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories — $60 or less per item
- Energy Star or WaterSense products for home or personal use — $60 or less per item
Local stores like Kroger, Walmart and Target are participating.
If you're feeling generous and would like to donate to local students in need, click here: