Officials offer tips after two Tuesday rescues at McAfee Knob
ROANOKE Co., Va. (WSET) - Roanoke Fire and Rescue officials say they rescued two people from McAfee Knob Tuesday.
Officials say the first person they rescued was a man who hurt his knee and had to be carried off the trail.
They say the second hiker was a man who was lost and called for help.
According to Roanoke Fire and Rescue, crews located the man and escorted him back to the parking lot area.
The department offers these tips for anyone hiking during the day:
- Pick a trail that meets your fitness ability
- Plan/prepare for your hike, take a map of trail
- Take a buddy
- Tell someone where you are going
- Bring a fully charged cell phone
- Stay on marked trails
- Dress in layers, avoid cotton, have rain gear
- Carry plenty of water and snacks
- Never climb on waterfalls
- Carry a whistle - three short blasts is the sign of distress