MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

"Never underestimate the capacity of a fire;" staying safe in frigid temps

A home near Turkey Foot road went up in flames on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 (Photo: Tyler Doss)

BEDFORD Co. (WSET) -- The frigid temps also brings a greater risk for fires.

The Chief of the Bedford County Fire and Rescue said the house on Turkey Foot and Thomas Jefferson Road caught fire on Tuesday evening while the owner was burning mail.

Two hours earlier, a house on Chatham Drive was in flames. Fire crews said the cause of that one was an unattended wood stove.

Fire crews say the cause was an unattended wood stove, "Resident filled it about 30 minutes prior went down the street and his house was on fire." said Bryan Byrd, a firefighter and paramedic with the Bedford County Fire and Rescue team.

Chief Jack Jones Jr. with Bedford County Fire and Rescue said there are preventive measures about turning up the heat when temperatures drop.

He said never leave a fire unattended

"It's nice to be warm, its certainly important, and it's healthy, but often people will overload them, and they go beyond the capacity whether its a firebox or fireplace and they generate too much heat," said Chief Jones.

"If you're using extension cords that are cobbled together, that's very dangerous," said Chief Jones.

Jones said if when using a space heater, make sure it is at least 36 inches from anything that is combustible.

If you light a fire to stay warm, make sure there are no live embers, "Take them far away from the home, make sure they are wet," said Chief Jones.

They may seem like small steps, but the Chief says they should be taken seriously.

"Never underestimate the capacity of fire," said Chief Jones.

The Fire Chief also recomends making sure you have a smoke detector in your home on every floor.

They will install them for you for free, all you have to do is call the department.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending