Nelson County fire department to receive over $100,000 in federal funding among others
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- (WSET) Senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner announced Wednesday that $1, 357,959 in federal funding will be given to nine Virginia fire departments through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The funding will be awarded through FEMA's Assistant to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG).
The following fire departments receiving funding are:
- The Concord Volunteer Fire Department
- The Town of Chilhowie Fire & EMS
- The City of Fairfax Fire Department
- The Gasburg Volunteer Fire Department
- The Glade Spring Volunteer Fire Department
- The Kenbridge Fire Department
- The Lovingston Volunteer Fire Department
- The City of Newport News Fire Department
- The City of Norton Fire Department
The primary goal of FEMA's AFG program is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters by providing direct financial assistance.
The Senators say, "this federal funding will provide fire departments with critical support to enhance training operations and purchase life-saving equipment that will help keep Virginians safe."