Bear sighting at Percival's Island
LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- If you plan on hitting the trail at Percival's Island anytime soon, you may come across a 'bear sighted' sign.
One was spotted at 7 a.m. on Monday, May 21, just over five miles from the entrance.
While they're fascinating to watch, they can be just as dangerous if they feel threatened.
Not too many people out and about were very concerned. Nonetheless, there's reason to make yourself aware of a few safety tips we got from the National Parks Service:
- Keep your distance - when possible.
- Stay calm - a scream or sudden movement can trigger an attack.
- With that said, don't run - chances are, it can outrun you.
- Pick up any small children immediately
- Travel in groups, if you can
For more safety tips, you can visit the National Parks Service website or the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website.