MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Pet meds and kids a bad combinbation

The flea medications and heartworm pills that millions of Americans give to their pets-- are sending kids to the ER.

The study in the journal Pediatrics found one poison center in Ohio received more than 14-hundred calls from pet medication over 15 years. Almost 90-percent of those cases in children under the age of 5.

Dr. Melody Ailswoth isn't surprised. Ailsworth said these medications are not tamper resistant and for children 9 months to 5 years they could look just like candy.

Ailsworth said here in Virginia, the Poison Control Centers gets a lot of reports of kids ingesting their grandparent’s medications, for the same reason those pet meds are a danger.

“The children's medications always have a tamper resistant top where grand parents may not be able to open that, so they don't have that,” Ailsworth explained. “So they come in, sit a purse behind a chair or a suitcase open upstairs. Kids are always inquisitive. They get something that looks like candy and next thing you know you're in trouble."

Ailsworth suggests if you think your child has swallowed ANYTHING -- called the Poison Control Center.

Make sure you have that number saved to your phone so you know where it is in an emergency.

That number is 1-800-222-1222.

Trending