Lynchburg, VA - Lynchburg city officials encouraged residents to take part in disaster relief efforts in a press conference Thursday.
Mayor Michael Gillette and council members asked that people help others impacted by Hurricane Sandy in our area.
Officials encouraged people to take in the relief efforts organized by Gleaning for the World and the Historic Virginia Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Here is a list of donations released by Lynchburg city officials:Items may be taken to any fire station. Only new, unused items can be accepted.
Historic Virginia Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Financial donations can be made at www.RedCross.org or by mailing a check to Red Cross Disaster Relief, 1007 Sheffield Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24502.
- Area blood drives can be found at www.redcrossblood.org, enter your zip code for a list of drives in our area.
- Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel are mobilized. Donors are encouraged to give at one of the Fire Stations, online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org, or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
- Donors may also text the word "STORM "to 80888 to make a $10 donation through their mobile phone.
- Those interested in volunteering can respond to www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org.
Gleaning for the World
- Financial donations are greatly needed:
- Drop off contributions at collection sitw.
- Make credit card donation at www.gftw.org
- Mail checks to: Gleaning For the World, P.O. Box 645, Concord, VA 24538
Plastic Food Containers
Pet Food & Supplies
Dry or Canned Food