Virginia Tech-Boston College: Week Long Coverage
Virginia Tech (6-2) goes back on the road Saturday. They'll face Boston College (3-4) at 12 p.m. on ABC 13. The Hokies still control their own destiny in the ACC Coastal Division race with remaining games at BC, at Miami, Maryland, and at UVa.
NOTES FROM MONDAY'S NEWS CONFERENCE WITH HEAD COACH FRANK BEAMER AND SELECTED PLAYERS
- Logan Thomas threw 4 interceptions vs. Duke. His goal at the beginning of the season was to have 5 or less INTs. He already had 10 with 4 games to go.
- Beamer and a number of players said they have a firm belief that this year's Tech team is mentally tough so one loss to Duke should not derail the season.
- Somewhat surprisingly Tech players were saying they felt they had an outside shot at a national championship prior to the loss to Duke. Tech was 6-1 at the time with 7-8 teams still undefeated across the country.
- BC has lost four of its last five games. A win over Army was sandwiched between losses to USC, FSU, Clemson, and UNC.
- Boston College will run the ball a lot. Through 7 games they have rushed the ball 275 times compared to just 152 passing attempts. Tech also runs more than they pass. 299 runs vs. 263 passes.
- BC's Andre Williams had 1,010 yards and 8 TDs. Tech's leading rusher is Trey Edmunds with 437 yards.
- BC's Alex Amidon had 46 catches for 585 yards and 3 TDs. Tech's leading receiver is Demitri Knowles. He had 33 catches for 415 yards and 2 TDs.
- This game will have two veteran QBs. Logan Thomas has started 35 straight games. BC's Chase Rettig has started 39 straight games. Georgia's Aaron Murray leads the nation with 48 consecutive starts. He's followed by Wake Forest's Tanner Price (40), Clemson's Tajh Boyd (35), and Alabama's A.J. McCarron (35)
- After missing two more field goals against Duke, Cody Journell is now 8-14 on field goal attempts this season. Based on Beamer's comments all season long it appears Tech doesn't have another viable option. On Monday Beamer said he still has confidence in Journell.
- Last year Tech traveled to BC with a 4-6 record. The Hokies ended up beating BC in OT 30-23. Beamer said that game showed him that his team was not going to give up on the season. Tech finished the season with three straight wins (BC, UVa, Rutgers).