84
      Friday
      87 / 63
      Saturday
      86 / 63
      Sunday
      81 / 62

      UPDATE: Bedford Co. House Fire Caused by Electrical Short

      UPDATED: 4:30 p.m.

      Bedford Co., VA - The Red Cross is helping an elderly couple following an early morning fire in Bedford County Wednesday.

      The fire was reported at a home on Shingle Block Road.

      Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Pauley says the woman got up around 3 a.m. to use the bathroom and saw smoke.

      Pauley says the fire was caused by an electrical short inside a wall and that attic insulation held down the fire.

      Pauley now estimates damage at $40,000.

      Pauley says it's not clear if the smoke detectors in the home were working.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER