Unattended Cooking Number One Cause of Fires

Danville, VA-- Fire crews in Danville have been responding to many fires lately due to unattended cooking.

They said it's not only the number cause of fires in Danville, but also in the nation. Firefighters want to remind you to stay in the kitchen while cooking.

"It doesn't take very long for you to walk away from the kitchen and come back and you have a fire there," Danville Fire Marshal Shelby Irving said. "In the event that you do, immediately call the fire department."

Irving said if you do have a kitchen fire, try to reduce the heat and cover the fire with a lid. Also, no matter what, do not throw water on a grease fire.