Two Rescued From Roanoke Co. Apartment Fire

Roanoke County, VA - A two-man crew assigned to a Roanoke County Fire and Rescue medic truck along with a Roanoke County Police Officer had to break open the door to an apartment on fire and rescue two people inside Monday.

Roanoke County Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to the 4300 block of Garst Mill Road for an apartment reported structure fire around 10 p.m.

Crews from the Cave Spring, Back Creek and Clearbrook stations responded and found flames and smoke showing through a window of an apartment.

The fire was quickly extinguished on top of a stove.

Fire investigators say that food left laying on the stove sparked the fire. The fire was contained to the stove top area.

Two adult males were transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation that was reported to be critical but not life-threatening. The two volunteer personnel who performed the rescue were also transported to a local hospital to be checked out for possible smoke inhalation and have since been released.