Two Men Rescued From Burning Apartment in Roanoke Co.

Roanoke Co., VA - Two young men are alive thanks to the quick actions of two volunteer paramedics after a stove fire in Roanoke County nearly got out of control.

Witnesses say heavy black smoke was pouring from an apartment off Garst Mill Road just after 10 p.m. Monday.

An EMS crew arrived first and immediately went into action, breaking down the apartment door.

With help from a Roanoke County police officer, they rescued two men who were inside the building unconscious.

Both were sent to the hospital in critical, but not life-threatening, condition.

"I was trying to leave and the rescue squad just pulled up straight in front of me and kind of cut me off where I couldn't go anywhere so I sat there and they jumped out of the car and took off to the residence," said Michelle Handy, who witnessed the rescue.

Both EMS personnel also went to the hospital as a precaution.