Soldier Returns Home to Lynchburg After Decades

Courtesy: Tharp Funeral Home.

Lynchburg, VA - After more than six decades a soldier killed in Korea is back home in Lynchburg tonight.

Sgt. Charles Scott died in 1950. His unidentified body was given a number and buried in a cemetery in Hawaii.

In July, Scott's family here in Lynchburg got a call from the Army. Their DNA samples were a match, and their son and brother would finally be coming home.

A military honor guard met a plane carrying Sgt. Scott's casket Tuesday morning at the Richmond Airport.

From Richmond, the hearse received a special escort to Lynchburg.

Scott's mother is 98 years old. His sister had prepared her grown children for the possibility that after she's gone, someone from the Army might knock on their doors one day to tell them their uncle had been found.

Instead, Sgt. Scott's niece and nephew who live in the Richmond area were there to receive his body Tuesday at the airport.

Sgt. Scott rests Tuesday night inside a flag draped casket at Tharp Funeral Home.

A Lynchburg Police officer met the procession on 29 coming into the city. By the time the hearse made it to the Monacan Bridge, there were an estimated 100 bikers following behind it.

Everyone pulled into the funeral home parking lot, where Sgt. Scott's sister Patricia Goff met them.

Goff was just nine years old the last time she saw her brother. She's been waiting on him to come home for the last 63 years.

"I don't think I have the words to describe it. It's just amazing. I just have so many different emotions that I don't think one word could even begin to cover it," Sgt. Scott's sister Patricia Goff.

The bikers plan to meet again Thursday to escort Sgt. Scott to his now final resting place.

Scott will be laid to rest with full military honors at Fort Hill Memorial Park.

Two flags will be presented, one to Scott's sister and one to his mother.

The service is at 2 p.m. and is open to anyone who would like to pay respects.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off