20
      Sunday
      25 / 20
      Monday
      33 / 27
      Tuesday
      42 / 30

      Smoke Detector Credited For Saving Woman's Life

      Danville, VA -- A smoke detector is being credited for saving a Danville woman's life.

      Fire officials were called to Greenwich Avenue Saturday for a possible structure fire. A woman was asleep inside the house and didn't hear the alarm going off. However, the neighbors did hear it and called 9-1-1.

      Firefighters were able to wake the woman and get her out of the house. We're told the city issued the smoke detector as part of their program to provide free alarms for residents who can't afford them.

      "We've put thousands of smoke alarms in and I think to date we've had maybe 73 people saved and probably 27 homes. So, the program is working," says Shelby Irving, Fire Marshal.

      If you want to see if you qualify for a free smoke detector, contact the Danville Fire Department.

      Meanwhile, the cause of the smoke was determined to be unattended cooking.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER