36
      Saturday
      47 / 27
      Sunday
      52 / 30
      Monday
      46 / 28

      Smoke Alarm Saves Danville Resident

      Danville, VA--The Danville Fire Department said a smoke alarm and a good neighbor saves a Danville resident over the weekend.

      Firefighters responded to the 100 block Greenwich Avenue for a possible structure fire on Saturday. They said a neighbor called 911 and said they heared the smoke alarms sounding in the house next door, and smelled smoke.

      The fire department found the house full of smoke. Firefighters were able to alert the person was still asleep in the house, and quickly control the situation. Assistant Fire Marshal, Richard Guill, said the cause was unattended cooking.

      The Danville Fire Department began its smoke alarm program in October of 1999 providing smoke alarms and installing them for residents who can not afford them. They said the program has been credited with saving 27 homes and 73 people since it began.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER