Roanoke House Fire Forces Evacuations Early Sunday

Roanoke, VA - An early morning fire Sunday that damaged two homes and forced the evacuations of two nearby homes has been ruled accidental, Roanoke Fire - EMS Spokesperson Tiffany Bradbury said.

At 1:11am Sunday, Roanoke Fire - EMS responded to the fire in the 3600 block of Ventnor Road.

When crews arrived at the scene they found a deck on fire.

Roanoke fire officials say a total of five people were evacuated from two different homes, but they were later able to return to their homes.

Bradbury says the fire was caused by an ember that escaped from an outside metal fireplace and that the deck was a total loss.

Officials say in all, two houses, two cars, a carport and storage shed were damaged in the fire.

There were no injuries from the fire, which was under control within 10 minutes. Damage estimates are approximately $20,000, Bradbury said.

Bradbury added that it's always a good idea to remember to wet down your ashes and make sure the fire is completely extinguished when using outdoor fireplaces or chimneys.