Roanoke County Crews Stay Busy During Storm
Roanoke County, VA - Roanoke County Fire & Rescue crews have answered over 200 calls for emergency assistance since Thursday afternoon when the temperatures began to drop.
Most of the calls were for accidents, trees/wires down and other weather related things. No serious accidents to report, mostly fender benders or cars in ditches.
But there was a fire Thursday afternoon on Bradshaw Road in a detached garage. The garage eventually collapsed and said there's about $300,000 in damage. No cause just yet.
Roanoke County Fire & Rescue wants to remind you to follow some of the following winter safety tips:
1. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from heating equipment (furnace, woodstove, or portable heater).
2. Do not use your oven to heat your home.
3. Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave the room and before going to bed.
4. Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
5. Allow fireplace and woodstove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container.
6. Test smoke alarms monthly.
7. Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.