Family Remembers Victims of Timberlake Wreck

Videojournalist: Parker Slaybaugh

Lynchburg, VA- Officials have released more information about the two men killed in an accident on Timberlake Road Saturday morning.

State Police officials say Amy Phillips was traveling at a high rate of speed when she hit the vehicle that John Hawkins was driving. Both he and his passenger Garry Moore, better known as Eddie, died at the scene.

Eddie Moore's brother says Moore was caring and always willing to help others.

"Me and him had an excellent relationship. I think it's probably most easiest on me because me and him did have such a close relationship. I have no regrets as far as time spent together we spent a whole lot of time together," said Aaron Moore.

Hawkins and Moore were co-workers and hit it off from the start. Family members say Moore enjoyed hanging out with friends, watching NASCAR and rooting for the Georgia Bulldogs football team.

"They got to go the opening game at Georgia Stadium and it was a pretty big deal to them," said Aaron Moore.

In fact he loved the team so much he even bought a bull dog and named him PacMan. Friends say the two men also loved playing and teaching golf.

"I went from not being able to hit the ball to just smacking it in a matter of hours, just by watching them and just how good their swings were. It was just so smooth, it looked borderline professional," said Chris Gilmore, a friend and co-worker.

Hawkins' family says he was easy-going and full of energy.

"He was dearly loved by his family and countless friends. We feel blessed to have had John with us for 26 years," said Lola Smith, a spokesperson for the family.

Gilmore finds comfort in knowing they are in a better place.

"They had a good time on earth and now they are having a good time up there, and they will be there forever," said Gilmore.

The woman that ran into Hawkins and Moore's vehicle is being charged with first offense DUI and two counts of DUI involuntary manslaughter. She is being held at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail without bail.

The families are still working on funeral arrangements for the two men.