Newspaper Carrier Saves Resident From Burning Roanoke House

Roanoke, VA - A newspaper carrier saved the day in Roanoke early Thursday morning after he woke up a person as their home burned.

According to fire officials, crews responded to the home on Nottingham Road about 4:40 a.m.

When they arrived, they saw smoke and flames coming from the home. They soon learned that the resident who lives there was out safely thanks to the newspaper carrier.

Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home. They believe the fire started in the family room.

There was some visible exterior damage to the home, which came in at $150,000. But there was no loss of life or injury thanks to that young paper carrier said to be from Botetourt County.

"Apparently it was called in by the newspaper carrier. So apparently he was in the right place at the right time. He was actually there flagging down firefighters as they arrived on scene," said Tiffany Bradbury, a spokesperson with the Roanoke City F.D.

Right now the fire department is not able to release the identity of their hero until they are able to get in touch with him for permission to do so.

The department does plan on recognizing his efforts at an upcoming ceremony.