Update: Two Displaced After House Fire in Moneta, Several Fire Crews Respond

Update: 5 p.m.:

Bedford Co., VA - An elderly mother and her grown daughter are safe Wednesday night, yet displaced, after a fire that started in the kitchen ended in flames through the roof.

It happened on Dickerson Mill Road in Moneta. It took multiple tankers filled with water and firefighters from Moneta, Stewartsville-Chamblissburg, Bedford, Saunders and Hardy to get this fire under control.

Crews shut down the road to bring in all the fire trucks.

At first, the trucks blocked Benny Heptinstall's view of his mother and grandmother out of their burning house safe on the other side.

"They were sitting up here and I came from that direction," said Heptinstall. "The phone had been burned up in the house and I couldn't get a hold of her. I didn't know if they were ok because I hadn't talked to them."

When Heptinstall got there, he got the whole story.

"My mother was frying potatoes on the stove and the grease had caught on fire and she couldn't put it out."

The hood above the stove acted as a chimney and drew the fire up into the attic, according to the fire marshal.

Oxygen tanks inside only added fuel and danger.

"They were exploding when we arrived and then throughout the fire some were exploding," said Lt. Darin Neel.

Neel was one of the first to arrive with the Stewartsville-Chamblissburg Fire Department.

"You don't know what's in there or how many of where they're at. So we had to back up one time," he said.

By the time the fire was finally under control, five crews had responded, and not much is left of the house.

"I had so many memories in this house. This is all they have. This is all we've got," said Heptinstall.


Moneta, VA - Several crews were on the scene of a house fire Wednesday afternoon in Moneta.

Five different departments responded to the fire on 8646 Dickerson Mill Road. Crews came from the Stewartsville-Chamblissburg, Bedford, Moneta, Hardy and Saunders Fire Departments.

Officials say three people live in the home: A mother, son and grandmother. They say the mother and grandmother were cooking in the kitchen when the fire started. Both were able to get out, and there were no injuries.

One lieutenant with the fire department says oxygen tanks were exploding while they were fighting the fire.

The Red Cross is helping the family.