Man Has Heart Attack in Middle of Wards Rd. in Lynchburg

Lynchburg, VA - A Lynchburg man has two people to thank for his life after having a heart attack in the middle of Wards Road early Wednesday morning. Thankfully, a nurse driving by and a police officer in training jumped in to save the day.

According to police, the man was walking home from work that morning and at some point suffered a heart attack. Right before he got to the Toyota dealership, he fell out into one of Lynchburg's busiest roads. At around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Cierra Smith was headed home after working overnight at the ER when she saw a man lying on the street.

"There were civilians standing around him. Initially, I thought he had been struck," said Cierra, ER technician.

She parked in the median and ran across the road to him.

"He was gasping for breath," said Cierra.

Passersby spotted the man on the other side of the guard rail. They say the upper-half of his body lay across the white line in the way of oncoming traffic.

"In a minute or two you could be completely brain dead," said Cierra.

Cierra started assisted breathing but despite her efforts.

"He was done, no heartbeat, no pulse," said Chris Smith.

That's when police officer-in-training Christopher Smith arrived, and jumped in to help give CPR.

"Without hesitation officer Smith did everything a veteran officer would do," said Kevin Singleton, training officer, LPD.

All the while a woman stood over them praying.

"It was nice to have somebody give the glory back to God," said Cierra.

Finally, the man's pulse came back and he was taken to the hospital.

"It all happened so fast," said Cierra.

"Based on both of their actions, a man's life was saved," said Singleton.

Both call it an act of duty as part of public service.

"We're not just about writing tickets. We are out there to help the people of Lynchburg in their worst time in need or the best," said Chris.

"I wouldn't have a clean conscience if I had kept driving. We are trained and I would feel terrible if I could have helped out in some way and I hadn't stopped," said Cierra.

Kudos to both of them for taking quick action, to save a man's life. Cierra visited the man in the ICU Wednesday evening. She says he was still unconscious.

There is no word on his condition Thursday.