Emotional End to Murder Trial of George Huguely

Reporter: Jeremy Mills | Videographer: Brian Whitesell

Charlottesville, VA - The Charlottesville community is returning to normal after Wednesday night's end of the George Huguely murder trial.

The 12-day court case wrapped up with a second degree murder conviction and a recommended sentence of 26 years in prison.

Family members of Huguely and Yeardley Love both openly wept in court and continued to cry while leaving the courthouse. It was an emotional conclusion to a murder that's drawn national interest.

A young cousin of Huguely appeared most shaken by the news of his 26 year suggested sentence saying the words, 'That's too much.'

Huguely's family would not address the media. His attorney did speak suggesting there will be an appeal.

"We are of course disappointed with the verdict. But we've been proud to represent George in his fight for fairness over the last couple of years. We look forward to some corrections with what happened here tonight," said Huguely's defense attorney Francis Lawrence.

During the sentencing phase, the mother and sister of Love shared tearful testimony.

"The absolute worst thing in the world that could've happened, happened. That's the phrase that sums up my life," said Lexie Love.

"Sometimes you think you can bear it and do something positive. Some days it's unbearable. It never goes away," said Sharon Love.

"There are no winners in this case. There's nothing but loss everywhere. Our hearts go out to the Love family," said Charlottesville Commonwealth's Attorney Dave Chapman.

The Love family also would not speak on camera. They did release a prepared statement:

"It is truly devastating to wake up each day and realize that she is no longer here. We will continue to keep her spirit alive by performing works of kindness in her name."

If you look closer at the jurors verdict of second degree murder, it actually splits the difference between what both sides were asking for.

The prosecution wanted first degree murder. The defense asked for manslaughter.

Huguely will be formally sentenced on April 16.