House Fire Displaces Family, Kills Family Pet

Danville, VA - Officials say a family's dog died in a house fire late Tuesday night.

Crews were called to the 100 block of Palm Street a little before 10 p.m. Tuesday. Officials say the family of four was out of the home when they arrived, but the family dog was still inside.
Crews were able to get the dog out, but it later died. Firefighters were on the scene for nearly two hours. The Fire Marshal says the cause of the fire was unattended cooking.
The Red Cross is helping the family.