WSET-TV, formerly WLVA Radio (1930) and WLVA-TV (1953) was founded February 4, 1953 by Edward and Phillip Allen operating as Lynchburg Broadcast Corporation. WLVA-TV, the first station in Virginia to operate with maximum authorized power and coverage, was originally a CBS affiliate before changing over to ABC in 1954. The first studio was located at 925 Church Street before expanding to the 2320 Langhorne Road location. In 1965, the Allen's sold the stations to the Washington Star Broadcast Group, who sold their holdings (WMAL-TV, WMAL-AM, WMAL-FM, The Washington Star Newspaper, and WCIV-TV) in 1976 to Mr. Joe L. Allbritton, hence the beginning of ACC. In 1977, WLVA Radio was sold and the WLVA-TV call letters were changed to WSET-TV.
Through the decades, WSET-TV has expanded its facilities on Langhorne Road by adding bureaus in Roanoke (10/1/79) and Danville (9/1/83). Increased coverage of the over-the-air signal occurred in 1983 when the transmitter was moved from Johnson Mountain in Campbell County to Thaxton's Flat Top Mountain in Bedford County. WSET-TV began simulcasting in digital in 2003, and transitioned to digital channel 13 only in 2009.
Serving a DMA of twenty-four counties in the Heart of Virginia, WSET-TV is committed to community involvement and has received numerous awards for news and public service coverage. After over 55 years of continued success, WSET-TV continues to strive for excellence in serving our Lynchburg, Roanoke, and Danville markets. Our mission is to be an aggressive and service oriented television station, setting the standard of excellence while serving the needs of Virginia's viewers by maintaining innovative programming, news, and community service.WSET is owned by Sinclair.