Gas Leak, Odor Reports Keep Roanoke Emergency Crews Busy Tuesday Morning
Front page photo courtesy: Lt. Chuck Sharp.
Roanoke, VA - A gas leak Tuesday morning prompted the evacuation of a Carilion Clinic building on Jefferson Street. A separate report of a gas leak odor at Breckenridge Middle School temporarily kept students outside for a short time. Roanoke Gas says the two incidents were not related.
The first gas leak was located in the 1000 block of Jefferson Street.
Roanoke Fire-EMS Spokesperson Tiffany Bradbury says a 911 call about the leak came in around 8:30 a.m. Crews evacuated the Carilion Building at 1030 Jefferson Street and issued a shelter-in-place to nearby buildings as a precaution, Bradbury said.
Bradbury said once the area was safe, crews left the scene around 9:39 a.m.
The leak on Jefferson occurred when a contractor working in the area hit a gas line, according to Roanoke Gas President John Dorazio.
Around 8:53 a.m., Roanoke Fire-EMS and Roanoke Gas Crews responded to a report of a gas leak odor at Breckenridge Middle School on Williamson Road, Dorazio said.
Roanoke City Public Schools Spokesperson Justin McLeod says students were evacuated for about 20 minutes while crews investigated the report.
No actual leak was discovered, according to Dorazio, but the meter supplying gas to the school has been shut off as a precaution.
Roanoke Gas will continue look at what may have caused the odor report at Breckenridge Middle School later Tuesday, Dorazio said.
As a result, all after-school activities at Breckenridge Middle School have been canceled for the day, McLeod said.