Altavista, VA - An Altavista police officer is being hailed a hero after officials say he may be the reason four people are still alive.
Officials say around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, an apartment in the 1200 block of Avondale Drive filled up with smoke due to unattended cooking.
Officer Earhart busted through the door, and found three adults in one bedroom and a fourth lying on a living room couch. Officials say a smoke alarm went off, but it did not wake up the people inside. Luckily, Officer Earhart woke everyone up and got them out of the house quickly.
"If it wasn't for the quick actions of officer Earhart at the time, it could have led to possible serious injuries or death," said Clay Hamilton, Altavista Chief of Police.
There was no fire in this incident and the smoke was contained to the stove.