Fire Destroys Historic Bedford Home, Two Displaced

Photo: Bedford Fire Department.

Bedford, VA - The American Red Cross is assisting two people after their home caught fire Saturday night.

ABC 13 talked to homeowners Jamie and Kim Snell Sunday morning. The two said they were returning home around 11:30 p.m. when they saw what they thought was fog at first. The two quickly realized their home was on fire.

According to a release from the Bedford Fire Department, several fire companies were called to the blaze at 11:30 p.m. in the 700 block of Longwood Avenue.

By the time fire crews arrived, flames had engulfed the entire home, according to the Bedford Fire Department. Three firefighters suffered minor injuries, the fire department said.

The homeowners were too upset to talk on camera. The two say they had lived at the property for four years.

A dog and her six puppies died in the fire, the Snells said.

The homeowners said when they left the scene, firefighters were still trying to put the fire out at 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

The Bedford Fire Department said crews from Moneta, Montvale, Bedford, and Big Island responded to the fire.

Neighbors tell ABC 13 the home was a landmark of sorts in the neighborhood. The Bedford Fire Department says the home was built in 1891.

Spokesperson Amy Whittaker said the Red Cross is providing the victims with financial assistance to help with meals, clothing and hotel accommodations.

Stay with ABC 13 for further updates. ABC 13 will have more on the fire on ABC 13 news and on