Fatal Salem Fire Determined Accidental

Salem, VA - The Salem Fire Marshal's Office has determined that the fatal fire that occurred on Saturday night and claimed the life of Walter Reid Woodyard, 61, was an accident caused by a cigarette.

The Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire at 1612 Roanoke Blvd. Saturday night at around 9:39 p.m.

Firefighters quickly located a male victim on a bed in one of the bedrooms of the home and removed him within six minutes of their arrival.

Woodyard was pronounced dead at the scene.

Crews were able to contain the fire to one room in the home and today damage from the fire was estimated at $50,000.