Danville, VA-- Sunday marks the beginning of fire prevention week. This week comes around every October, and this year's theme is "Be rabbit ready."
Firefighters in Danville are getting out into the community to educate children about fire safety. The Danville Fire Department said a lot of people don't learn much about fire prevention and safety when they are young.
Now the department is making sure children know what to do in case of an emergency. Firefighters want to let people know the importance of having fire exit drills.
"Everybody knows the main way that they come in and out of their house, but if that way is blocked then you know they need to have a back up plan as to how they're going to get out of their house, " said Lt. Kermit King.
King also says the most common cause of fires in Danville is unattended cooking. He advises people to get their smoke alarms tested at least twice a year.