Those wishing to use the shower facilities are asked to bring their own towels and other showering items such as soap and shampoo.
Update Wednesday:West Lynchburg Baptist Church has opened a cooling center. They are also planning a cookout for 6:00 p.m. and will have hot dogs and hamburgers for people who do not have power.Starting Thursday, there will be only two cooling stations open in Bedford County. The Bedford Moose Lodge on Route 460 and Bedford County Parks and Recreation on County Farm Road will be open. There are no accommodations for pets at these locations.Sandusky Middle School and Thomas Road Baptist Church are still open in Lynchburg. ------------------------------Update Tuesday:
- Appomattox Community Center at 220 Community Lane, Appomattox will be open as a cooling station Tuesday 2012 from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Peakland Baptist Church on 4018 Peakland Place will open Tuesday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. as a cooling center.
- Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg will be open 24 hours. Overnight sleeping quarters (bring your own pillow and sleeping bag) have been set up. There is even a place where you can stay with your pet. They will also be offering breakfast 8 a.m. - 10 a.m., lunch noon - 2 p.m., and dinner 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Amherst County Sheriff Office - 115 Taylor Street, Amherst, VA - 24 hour shelter
- Amelon Elementary School - 132 Amer Court, Madison Heights, VA
- Clifford Baptist Church, 635 Fletchers Level Road, Amherst, VA
- Randolph Memorial Baptist Church, 4246 SOuth Amherst Highway, Madison Heights, VA
In Nelson County, the following cooling stations are open, have food, water, restrooms and showers. They should be open until 7 p.m. Tuesday.
- Nelson Volunteer Rescue Station 2 on Rt. 6 E in Faber
- Nelson United Methodist Church on Rt. 29 in Arrington
- Rockfish Fire and Rescue Squad building on Rt. 151 in Afton
Living Word Baptist Church in Forest has opened the Fellowship Hall for those still without power. It will be open Tuesday until 10 p.m. There will be water, light snacks, coffee, places to charge electronics, free wi-fi. Dinner will be served from 6 p.m.-7 p.m. (Hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, water.)
In Bedford County, the following cooling stations are open throughout the locality:
Bedford Moose Lodge - 1897 E. Lynchburg Salem Tpk, Bedford, VA
Bethlehem United Methodist Church at 13586 Old Moneta Rd, Moneta. Open through July 4 8am -8pm, cooling and shower service only.
Timber Ridge Baptist Church-3234 Timber Ridge Road, Bedford, VA. Open until July 4, 8am-8pm------------------Update Monday:
Appomattox County Public Safety Officials are opening the Appomattox Community Center as a cooling station at 220 Community Lane, Appomattox, Virginia. It will be open Tuesday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
In Campbell County, Hyland Heights Baptist Church on 11452 Wards Road in Rustburg will be open as a cooling center 24/7.
Peakland Baptist Church on 4018 Peakland Place will open Tuesday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. as a cooling center.
Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg will be open 24 hours. Overnight sleeping quarters (bring your own pillow and sleeping bag) have been set up. There is even a place where you can stay with your pet. They will also be offering breakfast 8 a.m. - 10 a.m., lunch noon - 2 p.m., and dinner 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. They have buffet style meals for $3 per person and free for kids.
American Red Cross overnight shelters will continue to be available indefinitely at these places:
- Ben Franklin Middle School in Rocky Mount
- Lord Botetourt High School in Daleville
- Bath County High School in Hot Springs
- Jeter-Watson Intermediate School in Covington
- Roanoke Civic Center
- Gladeville Elementary School in Galax
- New River Community College in Pulaski
In Pittsylvania County, the following cooling shelters have been set up at Fire & EMS Stations until 7 p.m. Monday. These will be serving as cooling stations only with no meals or accommodations.
- Hurt Volunteer Fire Department
- Cool Branch Fire/Rescue
- Chatham Volunteer Fire department
In Forest, Living Word Baptist Church on Waterlick Rd. will be open as a cooling center beginning Tuesday from 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. THey will have basic breakfast and lunch food.
There is a cooling center in Madison Heights at Randolph Memorial Baptist Church (across from Kangaroo Express and Wal-Mart).
In Bedford County, the Bethesda United Methodist Church, Huddleston, Va will open a cooling station on Monday between 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Lynchburg First Church of the Nazarene on 1737 Wards Ferry Road is also serving free lunch starting at 12:30 p.m. The church is also open for those needing shelter from the heat.
Planet Fitness at the mall in Lynchburg says they are offering their shower facilites to people who need a hot shower. You do need to bring your own towel.
Heritage High School in Lynchburg is opening a cooling center in the cafeteria from 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. They ask that you bring any medications needed throughout the day.
Chestnut Hill United Methodist Church on 4660 Fort Avenue in Lynchburg will be open daily from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. as a cooling center.
Wythe Countyis opening cooling stations at Rural Retreat High School, Scott Memorial Middle School Cafeteria, Jackson Elementary School, and Fort Chiswell Middle School Monday, July 2, from 2 to 6 p.m. and Tuesday, July 3, from 12 to 6 p.m.
Please note pets cannot be accommodated. Residents without water may bring bottles to fill. Residents with special needs or requirements are requested to call Wythe County Dispatch at 276-223-6000 or Wytheville Police Department at 276-223-3300
In addition, the following churches have notified Wythe County that they are opening cooling stations:
St. Paul United Methodist Church - Wytheville
Max Meadows Pentecostal Holiness Church
Pioneer Baptist Church - Max Meadows
The following cooling stations are open in Bedford County. Officials ask that you be prepared to provide your own snacks, lounge chairs, personal items and recreation. No pet accommodations at this time:
Bedford Moose Lodge - 1897 E. Lynchburg Salem Tpk, Bedford, VA. Opens July 1, 3 p.m. -overnight
Bedford County Parks & Recreation at 1257 County Farm Rd, Bedford, VA "The Old Nursing Home" Open July 1 at 4 p.m. and overnight
Bethlehem United Methodist Church on 13586 Old Moneta Rd, Moneta VA open Monday- Wednesday 8 a.m -8 p.m., cooling and shower service only.
Bethesda United Methodist Church on 14340 Wyatts Way, Huddleston, VA. Open Monday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Timber Ridge Baptist Church on 3234 Timber Ridge Road, Bedford, VA. Open Monday - Wednesday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Montvale Baptist Church-1620 McDearmon Road, Montvale, VA. Open Monday 0 Wednesday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.----------------Update 11:57 p.m.
Shelter/Cooling Center-Franklin County and the American Red Cross are operating a Cooling center/Shelter for residents. The Cooling Center/Shelter is located at the Ben Franklin Middle School, 225 Middle School Dr. in Rocky Mount. Showers are available and residents can charge cell phone and computer batteries. Residents do not have to stay at the shelter. Meals are being provided by the Red Cross. Potable water is available but residents need to bring their own containers.
Residents desiring to stay in the shelter need to bring their medications and other essential items with them. Pets are allowed but are being housed in a separate location at the shelter. The only pets that are being accepted are dogs and cats.
Craig County has set up a cooling center at Craig County High School. It is 24 hour center. If you need a ride there you need to call the Sheriff's Office.Update 5:30 p.m.:
The following Red Cross shelters will be open Sunday and overnight:
- Roanoke Civic Center
- Bath County High School
- Lord Botetourt High School
- Jeter-Watson Intermediate School (Covington)
In Clifton Forge, the Life House on 601 Granville Avenue is open as a cooling station. They will be serving two meals a day now until Wednesday. Breakfast is 9-11 a.m. Dinner is 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. People can also spend the night they need to bring their own blankets.
-----------------------Update: 12:36 p.m.Cooling centers opening Sunday:Rockbridge County High School is open until 7 p.m.Update: 11:38 a.m.Cooling centers opening Sunday:Bedford City-
1) The Christian Life Ministries Church located at 737 Blue Ridge Ave, City of Bedford has opened a "cooling shelter" for those that have lost power. They have food and water, but anyone who wants to stay overnight needs to bring a sleeping bag, air mattress or whatever else they need to be comfortable.
2) Holy Name of Mary Catholic Church, 1307 Oakwood Ave., Bedford will be open from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Water provided.
Campbell County-Altavista Fire Dept., Brookneal Fire Dept., Lyn-Dan Fire Station. These stations will be open from Noon-8:00 p.m.Update: 10:25 p.m.Cooling centers opening on Sunday:Pittsylvania County-
Chatham Fire Dept, Gretna Rescue Squad, Ringgold Fire & EMS, Tunstall Fire & EMS, Renan Fire Dept., Riceville-Java Fire Dept., Hurt Fire Dept., Blairs Fire & EMS, Callands Fire & EMS, Brosville Fire & EMS, Cool Branch Fire & EMS, Keeling Fire Dept.
Serving as cooling stations only with no meals or accommodations. 10:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
Update: 9:35 p.m.
The following cooling centers in Lynchburg have extended their hours:
- Heritage High School - Cafeteria-Around the Clock/Food/Water
- Thomas Road Baptist Church - Around the Clock/Food/Water
- Elks Lodge - 1014 5th Street - Until 12 midnight/Food/Water
The following centers will be open until 8 p.m. in Lynchburg:
- House of Prayer - 7701 Timberlake Road
- Hyland Heights - 11452 Timberlake Road
Shelter opening in Amherst County at the Amherst Co Sheriff's office, 115 Taylor Street in Amherst.
Some cooling centers are open Saturday to help people without electricity after Friday's windstorm.
Click here to get tips on staying cool from the Virginia Department of Emergency.
These are the places open:
- Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg at 1 p.m.
- Benjamin Franklin Middle School in Franklin County, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Heritage High School in Lynchburg open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Langhorne Chapel Community Church in Leesville Road in Campbell County
- Altavista Fire Station in Campbell County
- Roanoke Civic Center Special Events Center in Roanoke. Park in lot E beside Orange Ave across from Sheetz.
- Salem Civic Center at 11 a.m.
- Crossroads Church at 4827 Delray Street in Northwest Roanoke
- Blacksburg Community Center at 725 Patrick Henry Drive in Blacksburg, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Riverlawn Elementary School in Radford, noon
- Christiansburg Middle School, 1 p.m.
- South River Fire Department in Rockbridge County
- Raphine Fire Department in Rockbridge County
- Pedlar Fire and Rescue in Amherst County
- Old Amherst County Jail located in the basement of the Sheriff's Office in Amherst County
- Amelon Elementary School in Madison Heights
- Lord Botetourt High School at 1435 Roanoke Road in Daleville
- Randolph Memorial Baptist Church across from Wal-Mart in Madison Heights
- Chatham Rescue Squad on 28 Military Drive in Chatham, opening at 2:30 p.m.
The Campbell County Department of Public Safety has opened cooling station. Click here to get the list of places open.
The Nelson County Department of Emergency Services has also opened up some cooling centers. You can get the list here.
In addition, the American Red Cross has opened the following cooling centers across the region. They ask that you bring special items for children, such as diapers, formulas and toys.
Albemarle County (Red Cross supported shelter)
- Burnley Moran Elementary School - Charlottesville - opens at 11:00
- Cate Collins Middle School - opens at 11:00
1625 Ivy St - Waynesboro
- Hot Springs Fire Department - opens at 11:00
- Lord Botetourt High School - Daleville - opens at 11:00
- Jeter-Watson Intermediate School - opens at 11:00
- Ben Franklin Middle School - opens at 11:00
225 Middle School Road - Rocky Mount
- Rescue Squad - opens at 11:00
- Heritage High School - opens at 11:00
3020 Wards Ferry Rd - Lynchburg
- Christiansburg Middle School - opens 1:00-9:00
- Riverlawn Elementary School - opens at 12:00
8100 Beth Nelson Dr - Fairlawn
- Pulaski Elementary School - opens at 12:00
- Roanoke Civic Center - open at 11:00
710 Williamson Rd - Roanoke
- Rockbridge High School - opens at 11:00
143 Greenhouse Road - Lexington
- Salem Civic Center - opens at 11:00
- Senior Center - Marion - opens at 11:00
Residents requiring shelter are asked to bring basic sustenance supplies, including medications
If you know of any other cooling centers that will be open, please email us the information at email@example.com.