Cigarette Sparks Lynchburg Brush Fire

Lynchburg, VA-{}Lynchburg firefighters say dry conditions and a cigarette sparked a brush fire behind an apartment complex Tuesday night. Firefighters were called to an area behind the Walden Pond Apartments around 7:00 p.m. Tuesday. Investigators say the fire was about 300 yards behind the complex.

Nearly a half an acre burned. Firefighters say a man accidentally flicked a cigarette in the dry brush and that is when the fire started. Firefighters used hand rakes and no water to control the fire.

It took firefighters nearly two hours to put out the fire. Fire officials say they were thankful there wasn't any wind or the fire could have been much worse.