Bedford County Fire Displaces One
Bedford Co, VA - A Bedford man lost his home to a fire Friday morning.
Flames tore through the home in the 1500 block of Old Country Road.
High winds didn't help the 22 firefighters who responded to the blaze.
Bedford Fire Chief Brad Creasy says it took more than 45 minutes to bring the flames under control.
One firefighter was treated for a minor injury to his hand.
On Saturday the home owner looked over what was left of his two story house.
J.T. Burnette says the house has been in his family since 1937 and he actually grew up in the area.
Burnette owns the house but says his son lived in it alone.
His son was not home at the time of the fire.
"I just knew that my son had left either the fire, or cigarette, or whatever. How it got lit I don't know, but it don't make any different. It's gone," Burnette said.
Burnette says he had no insurance on the house. He says he can't rebuild, and that his son will have to find somewhere else to live.
The house may be gone, but Burnette says he's thankful his son wasn't hurt.
"The main thing is that nobody got burned up. My son didn't get burned up," Burnette said.
The Red Cross is helping the family out with temporary housing arrangements.