Appomattox County Family Loses Everything in House Fire

Appomattox Co., VA - A fire at an Appomattox County home Thursday has left a family with nothing.

Thursday afternoon, fire crews responded to a house fire on Oakville Road.

Carl Smarr called 911 after seeing his living room on Oakville Road go up in flames. He lived there with his wife, son, three grandchildren, and four dogs. Smarr was the only person in the house at the time, and he got out safely.

The homeowners believe a faulty electrical outlet caused the fire. The house is a total loss, and it was not insured.

"Watching everything go down in flames, like it was just hard. That was, it was my home," said Ashley Mink, who lived in the home.

"Things happen. You know we appreciate any help we can get from anybody. We are going to try to find us another place somewhere, somehow," said homeowner Blanche Smarr.

For now, the Red Cross has put the family up in a hotel. If you would like to help them, you can contact Red Oak Baptist Church at 434-352-4672.